Who does not love Twitter? I have gotten to meet and speak with some really awesome people because of that little bird. With everything one does there are a few little rules you should follow to make yourself a fabulous tweeter on Twitter.
Eight Simple Twitter Rules
1. Every time someone new follows you greet them and say thank you for following. Do not make it generic. Look for something, anything to make your greeting look unique. A new follower will be more likely to stay a follower if you engage from the start.
2. Give thanks for those who quote your tweets with a re-tweet. They took the time to go above a normal re-tweet to pass your message along.
3. I might get flack about this but it is not about the quantity of your followers, but the quality. It means squat if you have three million followers if none of them read what you are tweeting.
4. Engage. Engage. Engage. You must put your great information out there 160 characters at a time. Respond to those who mention you and mention those who spark your interest. That is what Twitter is all about.
5. Make sure your tweets are to the point. If your tweets do not make any sense, people will not pay attention to them.
6. Use Bitly or some other URL shortcoder. Bitly is a wonderful little tool that will take a long link and shorten it. Using Bitly will also help you use your 160 characters more efficiently.
7. If you use information you got from someone else, credit them. This is very important. Give credit where credit is due. When you do a quote re-tweet, say where you got it from. Do not just steal it from someone else.
8. I saved what I believe as the most important for last. Check your facts and your grammar before you post. The last thing anyone wants to be is wrong or look less than what they are. It will only take a couple of seconds more and be worth it in the long run.
The main goals are to engage, be polite, and have fun. The sky is the limit on what you can do on Twitter.